Monday, May 10, 2010

Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars (Cook's Illustrated) -- a tasty excuse to use my "DEMY Digital Recipe Reader"


Hey! I'm back to blogging in "real time"!  I made these cookie bars a couple of hours ago.  I have two men who are both tall and thin, and they love cookies.  I bookmarked this recipe from Cook's Illustrated a few weeks ago, since the boys love chocolate chip cookies.  I noticed that Donna, from My Tasty Treasures, beat me in posting this very recipe.  What perfect timing!  Bar cookies are my favorite Go To fast dessert. They're perfect for lunch boxes, too.  I'll show you just how fast and easy these are-- and then I'm going to show you my new Mother's Day gift to me! First, preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Adjust oven rack to lower-middle position.


You need  flour, salt, and baking soda together in medium bowl; whisk it andset aside (printable recipe is at the bottom of this post). Whisk 1 1/2 sticks melted butter and sugars in medium large bowl until combined. Add egg, egg yolk, and vanilla and mix well-- which is why the wet ingredients look an ugly brown...that's from the vanilla!


Using rubber spatula, fold dry ingredients into egg mixture until just combined; do not over mix. Fold in the chips, then... make sure you have a 9x13 baking pan prepared with a foil "sling" and then prepare with non-stick spray. Trust me, a sling makes removing the bar cookies a snap!

Pour the dough into the pan....

Smooth with an off-set spatula (I pressed most of the dough in with my hands, before smoothing it.)

Bake until top is light golden brown, slightly firm to the touch, and edges start pulling away from sides of pan, 27 to 30 minutes. Cool on wire rack to room temperature. Remove bars from pan by lifting foil overhang and transfer to cutting board.

This version of chocolate chip cookies takes a lot less work to make. With my busy work schedule, these are a blessing!  Now, I want to show you a "toy" that I have wanted to own for a year.  Ready?

This is the newest version of a DEMY Digital Recipe Reader!  The beauty of this technical gadget is that it's a part of Key Ingredient-- which is where Donna and I store all of our recipe cards. If any of you have wondered how I have a printable recipe card at the bottom of each post, well the secret's out now! I have over 400 recipes.  I no longer need to print the recipes. No more bulk binders with protective covers on printed recipes.  I just plugged in my new DEMY and it synced all the recipes-- plus Donna's recipe card-- into my DEMY. I created my own catergories (see above photo).


Look! That's my photo!

Is the print too small? No problem! I hit FONT SIZE...


Much better!

There are built-in substitution lists... very cool!

How about three built-in timers?

There are lots of extra features, too. How much did I pay?  Last year, they were $299.00 and I couldn't justify that cost. Today? I ordered mine at Costco.com  for $199.00.  Key Ingredient worked out a few bugs from Version #1 (from reviews I read) and the price went down.  Just like iPhones, sometimes it's worth waiting for the next generation, right? Yeah, the price is a bit of an indulgence on my budget-- but I'm worth it!  At least once a year, on Mother's Day, treat myself to something I really, REALLY want-- I'd rather do that than go out to brunch.  I bought this (guilt-free), after a successful side job money making venture of mine that brought in a small windfall. I love this gadget! I can wipe the screen with a damp cloth.  It holds a good battery charge, so I can move it all around my (tiny) kitchen. It's user-friendly.  I position the DEMY to be upright, or at a flatter angle-- the screen automatically turns!  Want one yet?  Oh, how I wish I was a distributor for these!  If I was, I'd sponsor a giveaway so someone can appreciate this ingenious way of storing recipes. Get one, if you can. If you're a techno junkie, like me, this is a foodie's dream toy-- next to a good digital camera. By the way, Jenn at Technical Support for the DEMY was super helpful.  I'm a happy customer.

As always, the printable recipe for these bar cookies are at the bottom of this post. It's from Key Ingredient, and it's also in my DEMY. I'm glad, because at the touch of a button, I can whip another batch up in less than 10 minutes. Thanks, Donna, for inspiring me to make these! By the way it's FREE to join Key Ingredient. I've been a member for well over a year, and love how easy it is to use.

COOKIE VERDICT:  Buttery, chewy, chocolatey-- my boys will eat most of these. I ate one piece, and will stay away from the rest. I'm not as tall and thin as they are!

Your Foodie Techno Junkie,






Thick & Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars, from Cook's Illustrated

This recipe comes from Cook's Illustrated (May 2006). These ...

See Thick & Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars, from Cook's Illustrated on Key Ingredient.





No comments:

Post a Comment