Sunday, July 25, 2010

Creamy Homemade Cole Slaw -- and an invitation to my Facebook Fan Page


Well, hello again!  I'm preparing to shut down from a relaxing weekend and I wanted to post the cole slaw recipe that I made last weekend.  There is a reason that I don't have a better photo of the finished salad.  Last Saturday, just as I finished making the Pulled Pork sandwiches, and I was preparing to take photos.... the phone rang. My son (who has Type I Diabetes) was admitted to the hospital with complications from dangerously high blood sugar.  Craig and I headed to the Emergency room, just as my son was admitted for an overnight stay. The doctors wanted to stabilize his blood sugar and to make sure his rapid heart beat would settle down. He's okay, now, but it gave all of us a reality check as to the risks and dangers of this incurable disease.   Oh yeah, my birthday was just a few days before this event, so it was a busy week for certain!

So, while the finished photos aren't going to make the front cover of a foodie magazine, I can assure you that this cole slaw is one of my husband's favorite dishes that I make for him.   As a little girl, I used to love the cole slaw that was served at Kentucky Fried Chicken-- we're talking decades ago, when KFC served those wonderful buns (and not the biscuits they serve today).  At last, I can make a version that's as good-- actually better-- thanks to "Kittencal" at Recipezaar.com.  Like many comfort foods, this is not low-fat.  This slaw is mayonnaise based, has buttermilk, sugar, and some seasonings that are right on the money!     Sometimes, you just have to enjoy these things, in moderation. I ate one serving of this, and my boys polished off the entire bowl.  We begin with REAL mayonnaise.  You need some half & half (yep, that's right). Start whisking....

Now, we add fresh lemon.  Whisk some more.  You need buttermilk...

I love buttermilk for baking or most any kind of recipe....it's so rich and silky...
 Now we add fresh lemon juice and white wine vinegar -- whisk it together. 

(why I photographed apple cider vinegar, I don't know... I used it for the BBQ sauce)...  and now to add sugar.  I cut back on the sugar, because I'll be tasting it so that it doesn't turn out too sweet. Start slow, and you can always add more.


..one teaspoon kosher salt, and some fresh cracked pepper

I've got some sliced green onion and celery seeds...

 Now, we add a little garlic powder.  Let's talk about the slaw-- this time, I used packaged slaw.  It was on sale and this is a great shortcut.  So, now I add the green onion and celery seeds (I used 1 teaspoon, because I think they can be a little too much in the flavor department).   This dressing is really good. Sometimes I make it in a jar, so my husband can make small portions of slaw throughout his work week.

 
Add the dressing a little at a time, so you don't have soggy/soupy slaw!


  It's best to make this a few hours before, so the flavors will develop.


VERDICT:  This dressing has a perfect balance of lemon citrus, a little sugar sweet, some tart from the vinegar and a richness from the buttermilk.  It's a little naughty in the calorie department, but it's a nice treat.  It's way better than any cole slaw I've bought at a deli, or been served in most restaurants.
A printable recipe is at the bottom of this post

It's bedtime for Bonzo, so I bid adieu until next weekend. If I can, I'll try and post a recipe during the week.  If any of you are on Facebook, would you "LIKE" my A Feast for the Eyes Fan Page?  I pop in there more often, just to say hello-- and I'd love to keep in closer touch with so many of you.  I miss not having the time to visit all of your blogs.  If I haven't written to you, please forgive me.  School starts very soon, and I am busy learning my new job position and getting ready for the "Busy Bus" to arrive.
Thanks for stopping by-- and I appreciate your comments and friendship.

Hugs,






                               

Creamy Homemade Coleslaw

        <p>I found this recipe on Recipezaar, by Kittencal.  I&#8217;ve made a few minor tweaks (adjusted the sugar and celery seeds) but the recipe remains the best mayonnaise-based cole slaw I&#8217;ve made for my family.  You don&#8217;t have to make it the ...    

        See Creamy Homemade Coleslaw on Key Ingredient.    

   

No comments:

Post a Comment