Sunday, August 15, 2010

"Hello Dolly" Magic Cookie Bars

My husband seldom asks me to make a specific dish or dessert.  Today, is a mild summer day, so I had no problem with baking.  I'm reading that other parts of California are experiencing triple-digit temperatures. Not on the Central Coast of California!  Even though I live in the sunbelt, I doubt the temperatures have gone any higher than 72 degrees.  I asked my husband what treat he'd like for his lunch box.  "Hello Dollies", he replied, with hope in his voice.  This bar cookie is a classic-- otherwise known as Magic Cookie Bars, from Eagle Brand.  I don't know where his father got the name "Hello Dollies"-- it must be a Missouri version? So, I scoured the pantry, and I had one can of condensed milk on hand. I keep walnuts in the freezer, and always have an assortment of chocolate chips and other flavors.  My husband was in luck, when I found a box of graham crackers.  These took 10 minutes to put together:

Preheat the oven to 350F. You need one cup of nuts, chopped.  Pecans would be good, but I chose walnuts for today.  I pulsed one package of graham crackers to equal 1 1/2 cups.  Melt one stick of butter and combine to the graham cracker crumbs.  I love parchment paper, otherwise spray a 9x13 pan with nonstick spray.  I prefer to make a "sling" of two sheets of cut parchment paper so that I have about 2" of overhang on each side.  You can use aluminum foil, if you don't have parchment paper. Ever since I started doing this extra step, I no longer struggle with cutting bar cookies or having them stick to the pan. Pour a 14-oz can of  condensed milk on top of the crust. If you have an offset spatula, it makes the even spreading so much easier!

Sprinkle two cups of chocolate chips, evenly. Then sprinkle 1 1/3 cups flaked coconut.

Sprinkle one cup of chopped nuts as the last layer....
Gently press down on the layers.  Bake for about 22-25 minutes, or until golden brown.

Since I took the time to make a "sling", I simply lift the cookie right out of the pan and onto a cooling rack..

One of my favorite baking tools is this giant spatula by Wilton.  I found mine at a "Michael's" Craft Store.  No more broken cakes or bar cookies!  Let this cook for at least 15 minutes... tell drooling husbands (or kids)  to wait.

The crust is chewy from the condensed milk. I cut these into 24 bars...

Baker's Rights... I get the first taste. 




VERDICT: I can see why these are Craig's #1 favorite cookie (next to peanut butter).  I love the chewy, buttery crust.  It's sweet, but not cloyingly sweet.  The balance of chocolate, coconut and nuts is perfect.  These are rich, and perfect to tuck into a lunch box.  I recommend a glass of milk, though.  I see this cookie recipe on blogs during Christmas Cookie season.  I think this is a fast and easy cookie all year round. As for me, I'm going to limit myself to my one cookie. Today, at least! The rest is for my hard-working husband, who deserves his boyhood treat. He's been busy taking care of our herb and vegetable garden.  Make these for your loved ones. They'll thank you.  If you've made these yourselves, then you know what I'm talking about!

These will definitely put a smile on your face.  A printable recipe is at the bottom of this post. 

For those of you who are roasting in record high heat-- save this recipe for a time when turning on an oven doesn't make you gasp in horror.  I hope you do find cooler temperatures! Tomorrow is back-to-school for the students where I work.  I am expecting to be busy and tired for most of the week. I'll do my best to share more recipes.  I miss not being able to post more than once or twice a week, and I thank you for lovely comments and private emails.  I  love to share with all of you what's cooking in our home. I feel so blessed!






                               

Magic Cookie Bars (Hello Dollies)

        <p>This is a classic bar cookie recipe that is very easy to make. My husband knows these, from his childhood, as &#8220;Hello Dollie&#8221;.  You need a can of sweetened condensed milk (not evaporated milk), graham crackers, coconut and nuts.  This ...    

        See Magic Cookie Bars (Hello Dollies) on Key Ingredient.    

   

No comments:

Post a Comment