Saturday, August 21, 2010

Hasselback Potatoes -- Pretty easy, pretty looking and pretty darn tasty!

I am adjusting to my new work hours, but it does mean that cooking dinner -- and sharing it with my husband-- doesn't happen Mondays through Thursdays.  Friday nights are usual spent enjoying a Happy Hour Cocktail and tapas for a light dinner, that allows for me to unwind from my work week. It looks like I'm starting a new tradition, where I prepare a "Date Night" dinner at home, on Saturday nights.  Oh, there will be Date Night Dinners at a romantic restaurant in our backyard of Carmel (California) in the future! For now, I like to challenge myself to make dishes that look worthy to be served by a waiter.  In this case, that would be "moi"  wearing the apron  presenting the dinner on the table.  In my husband's case, he is the cleaning crew.  This arrangement works just fine! Not only do we save money, but we enjoy quiet dinners, for two, in our own home.

This pretty potato side dish that easy to make, but makes a beautiful presentation on your dinner plate. Hasselback Potatoes (or accordion potatoes)  were first introduced in the 1700s by a restaurant located in Stockholm named Hasselbacken. I found several variations for this recipe, and I decided to play around a little. The next time you want to impress company, these take just a few minutes to prepare. Any kind of potato will do-- Russets, Red Bliss are perfect. In my case, I had Yukon Golds on hand.  Wash the spuds...

Preheat the oven to 400F.  You'll want a baking sheet lined with either parchment paper or foil; or you can use a silicone mat.  If you have a wooden spoon, you have an fool-proof guide.  The technique is to be able to make 1/8" thick slices, without cutting all the way through. Otherwise, you're making potato chips.  By laying the potato into the spoon, you will be unable to slice all the way to the bottom.  If your potato is big, then slice the first half, turn the potato around and slice the second.  I decided to add fresh garlic by slicing a garlic clove very thin. Insert one...maybe two slices per potato.  I melted 2 Tbsp unsalted butter and mixed it with an equal amount of olive oil.  You can pour it over the potatoes, or you can brush it on.

You can be creative with your seasonings.  I used kosher salt & fresh cracked pepper. Because I have an abundance of thyme in my herb garden, I decided to add a few sprigs to add a little more flavor.  While these potatoes weren't as large as a baking potato, I still needed to bake these for one hour and ten minutes.

These potatoes should turn out crisp on the outside and tender on the inside.

OPTIONAL: I chose to brush a little more olive oil, during the last 10 minutes, and to sprinkle some fresh parmesan cheese on top. I'm glad that I did.

VERDICT:  My husband felt that the garlic was a little too much for him. Me? I thought the garlic was perfect. Then again, I love garlic-- even on a Date Night! Adjust accordingly.  

The rest of the dinner was a special Char-Crust Chicken, served with a Garden Tomato Compote, which was so delicious!  I will share the remaining recipes tomorrow.  We have a movie to watch, at home and the night is still young.  To me, cooking a flavorful dinner for my husband is my way of showing him how much I appreciate the wonderful husband that he is.  Isn't that why we food bloggers photograph and talk about what we make? We are passionate about good food!   Fortunately, my husband appreciates my cooking efforts and he lets me know.  While I blogged this dinner, he cleaned the kitchen.  What a deal!

A printable recipe is at the bottom of this post.

Made with love,





                               

Hasselback Potatoes with Garlic & Fresh Thyme

        <p>This pretty potato side dish that easy to make, but makes a beautiful presentation on your dinner plate. Hasselback Potatoes (or accordion potatoes)  were first introduced in the 1700s by a restaurant located in Stockholm named Hasselbacken. I found ...    

        See Hasselback Potatoes with Garlic & Fresh Thyme on Key Ingredient.    

   

No comments:

Post a Comment