Sunday, June 7, 2009

Bruschetta Burgers and a Rainbow Garden Salad

What a week! I think I set a record, for myself-- no cooking dinner for five out of seven nights last week. My poor family! Because of that, I'm craving a lot of vegetables, salads and I've got a lot of blogger recipes to read (this is how I relax and de-stress)-- now that the Class of 2009 has graduated, and I'm wrapping up the school year-- and I'm 17 workdays from my summer vacation.

My tomato plants are starting to produce tomatoes. I am about 2 weeks away from not having to buy"anemic" tomatoes. Next to strawberries, tomatoes are a fruit that I absolutely love. That's why I'm on a bruschetta kick. I keep basil growing in my backyard, for as long as the warm weather allows it to thrive. My version of bruschetta is very traditional-- Roma tomatoes, salt & pepper, finely minced garlic and fresh chopped basil. Sometimes I add balsamic vinegar, sometimes I don't. I brush olive oil on baguette slices and broil them for a minute; then rub a clove of fresh garlic. Heaven!

Italian salsa!

I rarely eat at chain food restaurants. If I do, I'll go to Applebee's and order their burgers. A while back, Tyler Florence created a bruschetta burger for Applebee's, but I don't think it's on the menu anymore (I think I haven't eaten there in over a year). I had a hankering for a grilled burger, and then I decided to create my own burger.

I kept the burger simple-- 80/20 fresh ground beef, salt & pepper. I was looking for ciabatta rolls (this summer, when I have more time, I will make my own), but I settled on fresh francesca rolls. I had slices of provolone cheese in my fridge, that was near the end of it's life (or I would have used mozzarella).

I'm ready for the big bite...


Delicious!

Instead of my delicious (if I do say so myself) oven garlic fries, I opted to make a fresh salad:

While shopping at my local produce stand, I spotted fresh golden beets for 25 cents each! I have a childhood aversion to red beets, because my mother served them from a can. I will eat roasted beets, though my husband loves them most. This time, I roasted them in foil-- for about 20 minutes, until tender. Sometimes, I roast them in balsamic, which I think pairs beautifully with roasted beets.

I bought locally grown salad greens, heirloom small tomatoes and I spotted some feta cheese in my fridge. I made my family favorite balsamic vinaigrette (minus the poppy seeds) that also pairs well with a strawberry spinach salad.



This screams healthy!

                               

Rainbow Salad with Roasted Golden Beets

        <p>I have never been a fan of beets, but I decided it was time to see if my palate could overcome this childhood aversion. By roasting the beets, they took on a nutty flavor that I liked. I decided to make a salad to showcase the roasted beets, along ...    

        See Rainbow Salad with Roasted Golden Beets on Key Ingredient.    

   


Bruschetta Burgers on Foodista

Bruschetta Burgers

If you love tomatoes as much as I do, this ...

See Bruschetta Burgers on Key Ingredient.



Strawberry Spinach Salad with Balsamic Vinaigrette

Spinach and Strawberries pair beautifully together—color-wise and flavor. The ...

See Strawberry Spinach Salad with Balsamic Vinaigrette on Key Ingredient.

No comments:

Post a Comment