Saturday, June 20, 2009

Olallieberry Buttermilk Pancakes and Candied Bacon

Finally! The weekend has arrived, though it's overcast and gloomy. What happened to our California sunshine, is what I want to know? I decided to treat my boys to homemade olallieberry pancakes and their very favorite candied bacon. Before I share these two recipes with you, I have been too busy to share photos of last weekend.

My husband, son and I took a lovely 30 minute trip to Gizdich Ranch to pick...er, buy ten pounds of olallieberries. The place was packed with folks, so I decided to spend $3.00 a pound on boxed fresh olallieberries rather than $1.80 a pound if we picked them ourselves. I also purchased a bottle of their olallieberry syrup, which cost almost $7.00. (I made a mental note to learn how to make my own.)

Tip: I buy Chinese restaurant style takeout boxes at a local restaurant supply (for pennies each) and freeze my berries. (Extra tip: I also use these takeout boxes when gifting guests with food to take home...I don't lose my personal containers that way, anymore!) These berries are highly perishable, so I don't waste time preserving them. Each box usually yields enough to fill a pie and they store easily in my upright freezer. If you don't know what an olallieberry is, I'm so sorry!

Think of them as a blackberry, boysenberry and marionberry all in one. They are sweet and tart, and my husband and son are crazy about them.

As special treat, I made candied bacon. Colleen, of the blog "Colleen's Recipes" (she's a sweetheart who blogs wonderful recipes just about every single day) posted that she didn't have success with hers. Well, Colleen, I'm going to show you how I finally perfected this recipe.

First, the bacon. Preheat your oven to 400F:

I use a baking sheet, lined with foil (for faster cleanup). I use a cooling rack on top of the baking sheet and line the bacon slices evenly-- I buy thicker cut bacon. I don't measure-- I just sprinkle brown sugar and then pop into the oven and set the timer for 10 minutes.

In the meantime, I removed my frozen berries (blueberries work just fine, too). I quick thaw them with some cold water.

Once I make my pancake batter and get the griddle ready, I am ready to go! Pay close attention to the bacon, though! The brown sugar can easily caramelize and then burn. As the fat renders, you might get smoke. After 10 minutes, I remove the bacon and turn them over with tongs. I sprinkle a little brown sugar on the other side and turn down the oven to 350F. Here' where you want to be careful, though. It can take 5-10 minutes more for the bacon to be ready-- I just check on it, to make sure I don't burn it. I'm speaking from experience!

For the pancakes, I drop some berries into the batter. The heat will finish thawing them out.

The bacon is ready...how good does this look? My boys are really happy. I can already see them eying the candied bacon, and calculating how many pieces they each get. I'm not surrendering my share! I don't eat bacon very often, but this is a treat.

What a breakfast! The sun is nowhere in sight, so it's a good day to bake. I have so many recipes I've bookmarked, I don't know where to start!

I would like to take this opportunity to express how much I appreciate each and every person who reads my blog. Those of you who, faithfully, leave comments-- it means a lot to me. Some of you leave comments, but I don't know how to email you! If I could, I would like to send you a personal note of thanks.

Food blogging is evolving into a hobby, a passion and a lot of fun. I've made a lot of wonderful foodie friends-- we speak the same language and love to talk about our passion in the kitchen.

Thank you!

PS: Go visit Colleen's blog. She makes comfort food and beautiful baked goods every weekday, bless her heart! Tell her I sent you and wear a bib-- I've bookmarked several of her recipes.

Olallieberry, on Foodista

Buttermilk pancakes with fresh berries

Forget boxed pancake mixes! Homemade isn't difficult to make ...

See Buttermilk pancakes with fresh berries on Key Ingredient.





Candied Bacon

This is my family's favorite way to eat bacon ...

See Candied Bacon on Key Ingredient.

No comments:

Post a Comment