Saturday, January 23, 2010

Jaden's Broccoli Beef, from The Pioneer Woman


My quest to post recipes that I've made weeks ago, continues-- and this recipe, is no exception.  I've finally accepted that I can only  post recipes 1-2 times a week, only because my work and other obligations don't allow enough time for me to blog on a daily basis.  How so many of you manage to post, daily,  leaves me feeling in awe and a bit envious-- in a good way!  The beauty of blogging meals that have been enjoyed, long ago, is that I can make "repeats" of my favorite recipes-- and to take a break from photographing each step. I think my husband appreciates my "foodography" hiatus, because dinner can be ready in half the time and he doesn't have to wait for me to photograph his dinner.  Many of you must certainly relate to this!

About this recipe-- it comes from The Pioneer Woman's blog, but it's really Jaden, from Steamy Kitchen's Recipe Blog and her new cookbook.  Truthfully, I wasn't thrilled with my photographs-- hence, my reluctance to post this. I was in a hurry to get dinner on the table, and I had run out of natural light. So much for excuses-- I'm going to post the recipe, anyway, because it was super fast to make and I liked it.  Let's begin:


Ree used flank steak, but I had just purchased some Carne Asada think sliced beef. It was very inexpensive. The ingredients are staples that I keep on hand. While I'm very much a beginner with Asian recipes, I am wanting to learn how to make simple dishes like this. I used mirin, oyster sauce and soy sauce.


The sauce is simple to make-- but I strongly suggest that you double...even triple...the stir fry sauce-- which is made with rice wine (or Mirin), balsamic vinegar (I didn't have Chinese Black vinegar) and oyster sauce.


For the record-- I don't care for oysters.  My oyster sauce is labeled "Oyster Flavored Sauce". It's inexpensive, easy to find and it really gives great flavor to Asian dishes. Try it! It's really good in sauces. You also need to make a beef marinade, which consists of cornstarch, soy sauce and cooking oil.  The beef is marinated, with this sauce, for about 10 minutes...


... like that.


The rest is easy-- I have a non-stick wok (one day I'll invest in a real one). Using a high heat oil, the garlic is quickly sauteed,  for 15-20 seconds. Then the beef is cooked, which goes quickly. Since I didn't use flank steak, it was hard to get a great sear.  Last, the stir fry sauce is added-- and I had to quickly make more sauce. I really felt that I wanted a lot more stir-fry sauce, and I do highly recommend increasing it. Your decision....


The broccoli florets were steamed in a little bit of water, with a lid on the pot. This goes really fast. Last, add the broccoli to the beef and...


...dinner is ready.  This is a super fast weeknight meal.  I think kids would actually eat their broccoli, with this meal.  I would make this recipe again, but I'd invest in a little extra money and make it with flank steak. That way I could cut the meat strips a little wider and get a better "brown" on them.


If you want to see Ree's gorgeous photos of how to make this dish-- and they are much better than mine-- please visit her blog!  I'm going to include this dish for my bi-weekly roundup of food bloggers who have made The Pioneer Woman's recipes.  So far, it's been a quiet week for submissions.  My partner-in-crime, Muneeba, had her baby delivered via C-Section. I've not heard a peep from her for days, but I assume that she is at home and adjusting to being a first-time mom.  I'll carry on, and post a roundup on Monday. If you've made a recipe from the Pioneer Woman, in the last week, please visit "Foodie Fans of the Pioneer Woman" for details.

Enjoying my weekend,





Chinese Beef Broccoli featured by the Pioneer Woman

This recipe comes from Jaden’s  (from The Steamy Kitchen ...

See Chinese Beef Broccoli featured by the Pioneer Woman on Key Ingredient.

No comments:

Post a Comment