Wednesday, January 6, 2010

No Recipe - Just a Scenic Feast for the Eyes & Some Cookbook Finds


There are clear advantages to working at a school. To name a few-- I love working with high school kids. I have a scenic drive along the Monterey Bay to work.  I get a Fall Break vacation, Winter Break (2 weeks), Spring Break and I'm off for the whole month of July!  Before you hiss at me, I work hard for the money!  This week has been a return from Winter Break that has completely sapped my energy.  I've been cooking, alright! But, for the first time, in a year, I can't muster the energy to photograph what I cook.  Each evening, I tell myself that I'm going to write and upload one of several recipes... but, I just can't do it!  I'll try to do that on Saturday, and I also hope to catch up with the blogs that I subscribe to.  In the meantime, I'd like to share with you some photos of where I live...


On January 2nd, Craig and I decided to drive down Highway One to visit Big Sur, California.  It was a beautiful day, and we thoroughly enjoyed the 45 minute drive to our final destination.  I've lived here for most of my life, and I never tire of it.  I love days when there is still a light misting of coast fog-- this was around 10:30am.


We arrived at Nepenthe's Restaurant about 11:00am.  If you arrive much later, it's hard to get our favorite spot.  This is the view from our lunch table...




...and here's my husband. We're both hungry!  We always order the same thing, for lunch.




Inflation has taken a toll on the price of the famous Ambrosia Burgers!  $14.00 buys you a hamburger. The beautiful gourmet salad, has been changed to iceberg lettuce. The salad was a disappointment, but....



... this burger is so good!  There's something about the quality of the beef, the perfect char-grill flavor and the sauce... I sometimes crave them! Nepenthe's has posted the recipe for this right on their website.


While waiting for lunch, I took a photo of where we had ordered lunch.


I have such memories of this patio area, dating as far back as the 70's.  I even spotted celebrities here-- like Lily Tomlin.



I browsed through the gift shop and fell in-love with their new book, "My Nepenthe: Bohemian Tales of Food, Family & Big Sur."  It's a beautiful book, with stunning scenic and recipe photographs by Sara Remington.   I debated buying the book...hesitated, and then decided I wanted to have more time to check it out, before buying it (more on that later).


After lunch, I asked Craig to stop at The Big Sur Bakery & Restaurant.


All of the breads were sold out.   I met one of the owner's, "Mike", who was very friendly.  If we had more time, I wish that I could have asked to see his bakery-- and to ask him some questions. Next time, perhaps. The Dresden Stollen he has baked was beautiful-- at $18.00.  It was tempting... but I didn't buy one. I think I'm still trying to detox from so much sugar carbs! See those cupcakes? $4.50 each!  I bought one vanilla cupcake.  I can understand why it was so pricey--the cupcake was filled with a delicious pastry cream, and I could see the vanilla seeds.  It's all about organic ingredients, which aren't cheap.


We had already eaten lunch, but their prices were right up there-- $17.00 on up for breakfast. Then again, this is a little away from civilization and the locals need to make a living. Besides, it's all about the view--




This establishment has also published a beautiful cookbook called (appropriately) "The Big Sur Bakery Cookbook: A Year in the Life of a Restaurant", which is also photographed by Sara Remington.  This was my first time visiting this establishment.  The next time that we drive to Big Sur, I hope to try a meal at this restaurant-- maybe in the summer.   I will tell you that, as we drove home, I stopped at Border's Bookstore to grab a copy of the Big Sur Bakery Cookbook and Nepenthe's Cookbook. I found a comfy chair and started to examine both books:

I am very selective about what cookbooks I'll purchase. For one, I have limited storage space.  Good pictures are what I am looking for. I am totally visual-- and I am more inspired to make a recipe if I can see a photo-- which is, obviously, why I love food blogs!  The photos are stunning! I decided to buy the Nepenthe's cookbook, first. I spotted at least a dozen recipes that I want to make.  The Big Sur Bakery Cookbook is gorgeous-- there is an emphasis on sustainable, organic and locally grown ingredients. If you live in the middle of "nowhere", you might find it a challenge to make some of the recipes. Still, there's something for everyone-- as long as you are willing to forego any kind of frozen or processed foods.  I definitely plan to buy this book, too. It's on my Amazon Wish List.


As we headed hone, Craig took me off the beaten path, where tourists don't go... because he knows how much I love Coastal Redwood Trees...


... and brooks.  How I wish I could sit here, right now, and listen to the sound of water.  But, back to reality and our jobs, we go-- with a feeling of gratitude.  I hope to be back into blogging, by this weekend.

If you ever find yourself on the Central Coast of California-- Big Sur is a "must see" part of your tour.  We need to come here more often.   It's still "Bohemian" in many ways, but that's what I love about it. 

Till then,

No comments:

Post a Comment