Saturday, January 15, 2011

Indian Style Rice


At last, the weekend has arrived-- as an extra bonus, we have a three-day weekend. Amen!  I have a dozen recipes I've photographed, and I am longing to get them organized and edited so that I can share them with you.  Today's recipe is a very simple rice side dish that I served with the Cook's Illustrated Tandoori Chicken.  It is, indeed, a simple yet very flavorful dish to make.  Did I mention that it's healthy, too?   I'm really loving the spice blend of Garam masala. You can make your own blend, but I buy one at my local supermarket because the spice company has done all the grinding and blending for me-- and because it's not too expensive.  I used brown basmati rice and my rice cooker, but you can make this in a covered skillet or pot.

Use enough olive oil to thinly coat the bottom of a pot with a tightly fitted cover. Saute onion and garlic, just until fragrant and slightly translucent. Add  rice, and cook for about 2 minutes, to lightly toast. Add garam masala spice and stir, and then add the chicken stock (or water).

 The addition of golden raisins is something we really enjoy.  I also think it adds more color. I added the toasted rice to my rice cooker, then added chicken stock.

Once the rice was cooked, I added about a cup of frozen peas and then gently stirred.  On a whim, I added  a squeeze of juice from two lime wedges and gave it a final stir.  We love cilantro, I garnished the rice with a bit of this fresh herb.  Parsley would be fine, too.

VERDICT:  Garam masala adds a multitude of flavor to otherwise plain rice.  The cinnamon is subtle, and this complimented the flavorful Tandoori Chicken.  I make this rice often, as it's become a family favorite. A printable recipe card is at the bottom of this post. 

Our California rainy weather and cloudy skies have disappeared, and it's a clear and sunny day.  I'm off to enjoy the sunshine, and I'll try and work on more recipes to share.  I've been making quite a few baked goods, such as baked doughnuts and a few other tasty treats.  Amidst all my baking, I'm still losing weight and swimming on a regular basis. I am feeling so much better!  Thank you for your words of encouragement.






                                  

Indian Style Rice

        <p>Garam Masala is a spice blend that includes cardamon, cumin, cinnamon, coriander and black pepper. It&#8217;s easy to find in most grocery stores. </p>     <p>This is a fragrant rice dish that wakes up ho-hum plain rice.</p>     

        See Indian Style Rice on Key Ingredient.     

    


No comments:

Post a Comment