Saturday, January 1, 2011

Ramos Gin Fizz-- A New Year's Day "Hair of the Dog" Grownup Milkshake--

Many years ago, there was a restaurant, called "The Clock Garden"  in my hometown of Monterey (California) that was known for their signature "Ramos Fizz" cocktail.  I can recall indulging in this frothy drink, while enjoying brunch on the outside patio, a few hundred dozen times.  If you've never tried one of these, I can attest that they can be a very sneaky drink.  They are smooth and silky, like a milkshake, and they can give you a bit of a buzz if you drink more than a couple.  They're also loaded with calories, but they sure are good! The gin isn't easily detected (and I usually don't drink gin).  There is a subtle taste of orange and a blend of light citrus, and a garnish of nutmeg that goes perfectly with any kind of brunch.  Sadly, the owner passed away and the restaurant lost it's magic.  It closed, for good, but I was given the recipe at least 30 years ago-- and then I lost it at some point. Years later, I indulged in one two of these delicious cocktails, when I had Brunch at Brennan's in New Orleans. I remember ordering their Eggs Benedict and a Ramos Fizz (another wait busting meal) but it sure was excellent!

A few weeks ago, I had a craving for a Ramos Fizz.  Then, a miracle happened.  Somehow, bits and pieces of the recipe, from decades ago, began to return from the depths of my aging clouding memory.  The words Gin, Cointreau, orange flower water, egg whites, half & half and nutmeg began to form in my head.  I decided to experiment if buying liquid egg whites would work as well as separating eggs.  Indeed, it worked very well!

I made one, and presented it to my husband. He liked it!  After making a couple of adjustments-- adding a little fresh orange juice, sugar and more ice, I nailed it!

I've ordered a Ramos Fizz, on rare occasion, from a restaurant or bar.  I've been disappointed, though, because Orange Flower Water is a key ingredient.  To me, it just isn't the real deal without this product that is is a clear, perfumed distillation of fresh bitter-orange blossoms. It's not that hard a product to find, actually. I think I bought this bottle either at Whole Foods or Trader Joe's, a year or two ago. You also need to make this drink in a blender, so it becomes nice a foamy from the egg whites.  I used Sweet  & Sour Mix, but I just might go that extra mile and make my own with fresh squeezed lemon and lime juice, next time.  Now, all I need to do is recreate The Clock Garden's delicious Greek Lemon Soup and their Welsh Rarebit that they were known for.    I didn't eat them together, though. That would be an interesting combo, wouldn't it?

I'm pleased to have a piece of The Clock Garden Restaurant in my recipe file again. A printable Ramos Gin Fizz recipe is at the bottom of this post, in case you'd like to try one.  I think you'll love it. I really do. By making these at home, you can drink responsibly. That's a good thing.

I have heard that this drink can nurse a hangover.  Craig and I are spending a very quiet evening at home, with a glass (maybe two) of champagne, so I doubt we'll need a little "hair of the dog" that bit us.  I think our days of partying and drinking are behind us.

For New Year's Day, I think my husband and I will enjoy one of these to celebrate our fifth wedding anniversary.  Yes, we're still newlyweds and I'm one very lucky woman!

Happy New Year, 2011!  



                                  

Ramos Gin Fizz - A Grown Up Milkshake

        <p>If you&#8217;ve never had a Ramos Fizz, then you really must try one.  This cocktail traces back to 1888, when it was first served in New Orleans (Meyer&#8217;s Restaurant).  The recipe uses egg whites which results in a frothy drink that is perfect ...     

        See Ramos Gin Fizz - A Grown Up Milkshake on Key Ingredient.     

    

No comments:

Post a Comment