Saturday, August 27, 2011

San Francisco Garlic Fries - Made Lite (Bon Appétit )

This recipe was published in the August 2011 issue of Bon Appétit Magazine. Bon Appétit  describes this recipe as "Our lighter take on the Gilroy Garlic Fries at the San Francisco Giants' AT&T Park forgoes the deep fryer in favor of a hot oven." My hometown of Monterey, California is no more than a 30 minute drive to Gilroy, California-- home of the Garlic Festival.  Drive another 1 1/2 hours north, and I'm in San Francisco.  I've never been to the AT&T Park, so I've never experienced these particular fries.  However, I'm a garlic lovin' fool and I am always on the lookout for baked oven fries.   Fries are one of my guilty pleasures, you see.   While I'm not 100% thrilled with my final photos of these baked fries (we were hungry and I didn't want these to get cold), I still wanted to share this fast and simple way of making garlic fries that are really delicious-- and I didn't miss the deep-fryer version of fries that I've been known to make at home (about once a year):


 I scaled the recipe in half by using two Russet potatoes, scrubbed clean and cut into planks.

Toss potatoes with 2½ tablespoons oil in a large bowl and season with salt and pepper.

Arrange in a single layer on baking sheet. Roast the potatoes, turning occasionally, until browned and tender, about 30 minutes. Increase heat to 500°. Continue roasting until fries are deep brown in spots, about 5 more minutes.

Meanwhile, whisk  ½ tablespoons oil, garlic, and parsley in a large bowl. 
NOTE: My garden flat-leaf parsley is finished for the season, so I used my curly parsley. Just a minor adaption...

Add hot fries, season with salt and pepper, and toss to coat.

 I served these fries with a Grilled Mar-A-Lago Turkey Burger.  Double less guilt!

VERDICT:  Hubs and I both enjoyed these baked fries.  What I liked about this recipe was tossing the baked fries in with a bit of oil and freshly minced garlic.  I also didn't need to pre-cook the fries in the microwave , as with my earlier Garlic Oven Fries.  I think it would be fun to use some seasoning salt and even more garlic.  Super easy.  Excellent recipe.

A printable recipe is at the end of this post.

Saturday, I'm out the door bright and early for a pasta making class.  I get to bring my Atlas pasta maker, and I will to learn how to make ravioli. My camera battery is charging, and I look forward to sharing that with you.


                               

San Francisco Garlic-Fries Made Lite

        <p>This recipe was printed from Bon Appétit | August 2011<br />This is BA&#8217;s lighter take on the Gilroy Garlic Fries at the San Francisco Giants&#8217; AT&#38;T Park, that  forgoes the deep fryer in favor of a hot oven.  These are very quick and ...    

        See San Francisco Garlic-Fries Made Lite on Key Ingredient.    

   

No comments:

Post a Comment