Monday, July 20, 2009

My Moonwalk Anniversary & Birthday BBQ

My favorite birthday cake-- Princess Cake Genoise, Bavarian Cream & Raspberry, Iced in Whip Cream & Draped in Marzipan. I love marzipan! I wish I could say that I made this, but it comes from Layer's Bakery in Monterey, CA. They make amazing desserts!

Thank you so much for the personal emails, wishing me a Happy Birthday! I feel so special.

I'm giving a shout to my husband, Craig, who is my "Prince Charming". Thanks to my husband's hard work, we had an intimate soiree with my immediate family (a day earlier, since Sunday works best for everyone). Today is my official birthday, but I don't mind stretching it out a few more days! My family is small, since both of my parents have passed. I have two older brothers, who are both musicians. I'm the "baby" and I can't play an instrument. But I can sing-- though a little flat!


My dad, Mom, Me (in a dirndl), far left "Alan" (in "ledherhosen) and at right is "Fred".

Craig has a fear of cooking, but he's becoming pretty darn good with a grill. We give a lot of credit to this book:

The book "How to Grill" is "grilling for dummies" with great photos and everything you need to know about grilling on on a gas grill or with coals. Even an experienced griller would love the recipes. I've made several and have bookmarked many more.

We love to include grilled veggies with any meal ...

My husband did 99% of the work, with the help of my brother and son-- I helped to set up a burger bar with all the condiments...

Now that's a juicy burger!

"Fred" (the oldest) gave me the most amazing gift. He has copyrighted his photos and he is getting ready to market (to galleries) his collection of photos he's taken of famous rock bands and the Monterey Pop Festival. I have always loved this photo of Roger Daltrey (I had a young girl crush on him in "Tommy") and Keith Moon of "The Who".

My son and I, reading the inscription on the back of my photo.

Fred wrote the sweetest note, on the back. He reminded me that on my birthday, July 20, 1969, man first walked on the moon. I remember it well-- I was fourteen years old. There! I said it. Now you know how many years young I am!
This photo will join my gallery of Janis Joplin & Brian Jones (Rolling Stones) that Fred also photographed).

This is my tiny kitchen. Both of my brothers and my husband are standing in it. This is it! Tiny, isn't it? But, as my foodie friend Stacey says (and I'm paraphrasing)-- a cook can pull it all together anywhere-- or something like that. (Look closely and you can see peach jam that I made that morning. I have BBQ sauce plans for that jam!) My brother, Alan (far left) is standing right were my refrigerator is located. My kitchen is so small, that I have to hang my pots to utilize my small and minimal cabinets! (My pantry is in my garage.)

This is Fred's Feisty British Girlfriend (Susan) -- she's a lot of fun and a fellow foodie. She gave me (as did Fred) a new digital camera bag and great accessories. One thing I can't fault my tiny kitchen for-- lots of windows and bright light! This is food bloggers heaven, except that counter space is at a high premium for me!

Unless you are familiar with San Francisco's rock history of the 70's, you would not appreciate these collector postcards for concerts with groups like "Iron Butterfly", "Canned Heat" and "Big Brother and the Holding Company". "Woodstock" and Haight Ashbury "Summer of Love" is my generation. These were also given to me, framed, as gifts. These will not be on eBay. Mine!

Today, I'm going to enjoy reading cookbooks and to enjoy the day at home. My house is clean, thanks to my husband and son. Tonight, we are going out to dinner. I'd love to sneak in my camera, but my family still can't get used to me photographing food. We shall see...

No recipe to post, today. I just wanted to share a little bit more about myself.


No comments:

Post a Comment